Alma/Primo VE (Ex Libris)
Alma/Primo VE is integration of Library Catalog, I-Share Libraries, and electronic resources onto one environment. Benner Libray belongs to the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI). CARLI helps us share resources throughout Illinois both physical and electronic. They provide tools, resources, brokering, and support. After much research and testing, CARLI is changing from our current library catalog, both ONU and the shared Illinois catalog to a new cloud-based library service platform. This platform will replace many of our current tools: Voyager, VuFind (Online Catalog), Summon (All-At-Once Search), 360 Link (link resolver tool), and parts of CORAL (erms system).
- Spring 2019 - Summer 2020 Preparation for setup and a lot of training has taken place.
- Spring 2019 - Final migration prep for the test enviroment has been completed
- Alma/Primo VE are currently frozen in preparation for the migration. Please do not use them until further notice.
- Summer 2020 - There is a planned "Go Live" date of June 25, 2020
- The week before and after this date you should expect some "outages" with our library catalogs.
- Thursday and Friday (June 18&19) we have been instructed to check data for key issues to confirm that our content will migrate correctly.
- June 2020 we have been preparing our checklists so that we can hit the ground running and we are allowed to start configurations on June 23.
Alma Link Resolver
Most of us will know the Alma Link Resolver as "Check for full text." A link resolver is a tool that uses a database to determine whether or not Benner Library has a specific resource in our collection. If the resource is available, the link resolver will link the patron to that resource. If the resource is not available, the link resolver should link the patron to other options such as interlibrary loan (ILL).
- Spring 2020 - Preparation for setup and training has taken place.
- Spring 2020 - Test environment has been set up
- Summer 2020 - There is a planned "Go Live" date of June 25, 2020 but we may not switch this over until our ONU Go live date which has yet to be determined.
- Expect to begin to see the new graphic when you use this tool after June 25, 2020. You may see a mixture of
both graphics at first while we work on testing and final setup.
New Graphic: Previous Graphic:
- Depending on how other processes go we will probably start sending letters to providers for this change next week (June 22-26).
Open Athens Authentication System (Ebsco)
This is a system that forces patrons to prove that they have a current affiliation with ONU. Benner Library currently
utilizes Ezproxy which is an OCLC product but it is hosted and maintained by campus IT. Open Athens has a few advantages:
1. We will be able to utilize the product for free for the next three years thanks to CARLI.
2. Open Athens uses our Campus authentication system for our eresources and Primo VE, our other new product. This means patrons will see the same ONU sign on that they do for many of our other ONU tools like My Olivet, Canvas, and email. This also means that patrons will not always have to sign in if they are already in one of the other ONU authenticated tools.
3. Benner Library will be able to collect better usage statistics so that the leaders will have even more data to make good decisions about purchasing specific resources for our patrons.
4. It will be hosted on Open Athens (EBSCO) servers so that Campus IT will not have to continually update the equipment or backend configurations.
5. Library Informatics will have more support for troubleshooting and setup from the product owners, CARLI, and other consortium members.
- Spring 2020 - Preparation for setup and training has taken place.
- Initial access and authentication has been completed.
- Summer 2020 - Test environment has been set up and testing is in process.
- We have now been officially assigned a Phase 2 representative so the process has begun.
- We are working closely with our IPM from EBSCO.
- Provider's are being contacted and communicated with.
- Extensive testing has begun.
- Instructional webpages are being made on how to find permalinks for each provider.
- Some of our resources will be transitioned on Wednesday, June 3.
- We do not have an official "go live" date yet but hope it will be in the next couple weeks.
- When we transition, we will no longer utilize our proxy prefix in front of urls to help our patrons authenticate. https://login.proxy.olivet.edu/login?url= Directions for the new method will be sent out in the near future.
- We hope to run both products simultaneously to give our professors an opportunity to update links in their syllabi. If you have any problems with persistent urls please contact the library staff so they can help you update.
- Proquest and Gale are two vendors that cannot run Open Athens and Ezproxy simultaneously so they will be high priority changes once we go live.
- This go live is not in conjunction with Alma/Primo VE go live date.
- Most of the provider services have been activated, tested, and are running live. We are still working with a few providers to complete the setup.
- Instructional webpages are being added and tested on how to find permalinks for each provider.
- Reference staff is learning how to build permanent links as they test the above pages.
- We have begun setting up meetings for syllabus writers to learn how to change their purls in Canvas and syllabi.
- Some of the library staff have begun to review course resources for the SGCS Programs. Contact us if you would like help or instruction.
- A script is being written for the above procedure so a tutorial can be made.
- Ezproxy is still working with most of our vendors. (Gale and Proquest might not work with Ezproxy.) There has been no timeline set for when we will drop Ezproxy. Our subscription ends in August 2020, we will have to determine whether to pay for it for another year.
- Ebook Central will be switched over any moment now. If you had an account, it will appear to be lost but you can contact Proquest support and they will merge your old account with your new account.
- Staff and student staff members have been diligently checking about 450 of our electronic resources on and off campus weekly. Their assitance is crucial during this time of transition.
Electronic resource management system (ERMS)
Benner Library was utilizing CORAL, a free electronic resources management system. Although it was a great resource with a wonderful community of people our needs have changed. Most of our eresource and vendor information will be stored, updated, and maintained in Alma/Primo VE. Due to this change, CORAL would only be used to keep the resources on the Library website up-to-date. By moving the data over to Service Stats (Informatics Application), we will be able to have more flexibility in how and what we can display about our resources on our website.
- Summer 2020 - New database has been setup and tested.
- Data has been migrated from CORAL to Service Stats ERMS. Both databases will be maintained temporarily.
- Code has been developed/rewritten and tested to pull the data on to the website.
- Subject guide pages have been updated with new code and tested.
- Process has begun to convert individual links over on mostly class guide pages.
- Pages that are completed include the text: This web page was reviewed on ##/##/####. at the bottom of that specific page.
- Tool links like library catalog links, Google Scholar, journal searches, etc. have been converted to this new system on our website for consistency in wording and linking.
- Our backup outage page has been updated with all of the current changes. This includes new script pages for Option 3 which hardcodes the url in case our erms database is down.
This web page was created by Ann Johnston, Informatics Librarian, on 5/21/2020. The content of the page was updated on 6/19/2020.