Alma/Primo VE (Ex Libris)
Alma/Primo VE is integration of Library Catalog, I-Share Libraries, and electronic resources into one environment. Benner Library belongs to the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI). CARLI helps us share resources throughout Illinois both physical and electronic. They provide tools, resources, brokering, and support. After much research and testing, CARLI is changing both ONU and the shared Illinois catalog to a new cloud-based library service platform. This platform will replace many of our current tools: Voyager, VuFind (Online Catalog), Summon (All-At-Once Search), 360 Link (link resolver tool), and parts of CORAL (erms system).
Alma Link Resolver
Most of us will know the Alma Link Resolver as "Check for full text." A link resolver is a tool that uses a database to determine whether or not Benner Library has a specific resource in our collection. If the resource is available, the link resolver will link the patron to that resource. If the resource is not available, the link resolver should link the patron to other options such as interlibrary loan (ILL).
Open Athens Authentication System (Ebsco)
This is a system that forces patrons to prove that they have a current affiliation with ONU. Benner Library currently
utilizes EZproxy which is an OCLC product but it is hosted and maintained by campus IT. Open Athens has a few advantages:
1. We will be able to utilize the product for free for the next three years thanks to CARLI.
2. Open Athens uses our Campus authentication system for our eresources and Primo VE, our other new product. This means patrons will see the same ONU sign on that they do for many of our other ONU tools like My Olivet, Canvas, and email. Patrons will not have to sign in if they are already in one of the other ONU authenticated tools.
3. Benner Library will be able to collect better usage statistics so that the leaders will have even more data to make good decisions about purchasing specific resources for our patrons.
4. It will be hosted on Open Athens (EBSCO) servers so that Campus IT will not have to continually update the equipment or backend configurations.
5. Library Informatics will have more support for troubleshooting and setup from the product owners, CARLI, and other consortium members.
Electronic resource management system (ERMS)
Benner Library was utilizing CORAL, a free electronic resources management system. Although it was a great resource with a wonderful community of people our needs have changed. Most of our eresource and vendor information will be stored, updated, and maintained in Alma/Primo VE. Due to this change, CORAL would only be used to keep the resources on the Library website up-to-date. By moving the data over to Service Stats (Informatics Application), we will be able to have more flexibility in how and what we can display about our resources on our website.
This web page was created by Ann Johnston, Informatics Librarian, on 5/21/2020. The content of the page was updated on 7/16/2020.