To borrow materials, bring a valid ONU ID card with you to the Circulation Desk. Some materials, such as reference books and periodicals, do not leave the library.
Loan Periods and Fines
Books in the regular collection check out for a 4-week period and are eligible for three renewals. Some curriculum materials check out for 2 weeks with one renewal. A fine of $ .10 per day is charged for these overdue materials.
Fines for reserve materials accrue quickly and at a higher rate than regular materials: $ .50/day for 2, 7, and 14-day reserves and $ .25/hour for 2-hour reserves.
Professors may place materials on reserve for a specific course. Reserve materials are available for checkout at the Circulation Desk. Please know the instructor’s name and the title of the item when asking for reserve materials. Loan periods vary according to the professor’s preference: 2-hour, 2-day, 7-day, and 14-day. Many 2-hour items are “closed” and do not leave the library. Reserve materials are not eligible for renewal.
Interlibrary Loan Materials
Materials may be borrowed from other libraries. For more information, contact the Interlibrary Loan department.
Library materials can be renewed unless 1) the items are overdue, 2) the items are on reserve, 3) the renewal limit has been reached, or 4) the fine balance totals $3.00 or more. To renew items, call 815-939-5354 or stop by the Circulation Desk. You may also renew materials online:
- Go to the library's homepage.
- From the menu, select the Books and Media tab
- From the next menu, select the Library Account tab
- Enter your username and password (if you do not have an account, click Create New Account and enter the required information)
- From the menu (right side of the screen), select Checked Out Items
- Click the Renew box next to each item you wish to renew
- Click the Renew Selected Items button at the bottom of the list
- Verify the renewal by checking for a new due date. If an item will not renew, visit the Circulation Desk.
- Books marked ILL on your account must be renewed through the Interlibrary Loan Department; call 815-928-5439
Return books to the Circulation Desk or use the 24-hour book return inside the library’s entry foyer.
Overdue Item Notices
The first overdue notice is an automated email sent directly to the borrower. The second, third, and fourth overdue notices are printed and mailed to the borrower. After 30 days, the system considers overdue items “lost.” The default charges for lost items are as follows: $3 overdue fine plus $30 item replacement fee and $10 processing fee. An automated fines/fees notice is emailed to the borrower.
Benner Library is monitored by security cameras. Additionally, the library is equipped with electronic theft detection gates. Failure to properly check out materials will cause an alarm to sound at the gates. Often textbooks purchased online also set off the alarm. If this happens, staff at the Circulation Desk will assist; otherwise, it may happen again.
Telephones and Fax Services
A guest telephone is located in the entry foyer of the library. It will dial local area code (815) numbers and campus offices. All other telephones are for library personnel only. Fax service is available only at the Circulation Desk for a fee of $ .25 per page to send or receive.