SOWK 420: Social Policy Analysis
Choosing an Issue | Finding your Bill | Support & Opposition | Impact & Implications |
Loan | Writing your Letter | APA
Examples books from our collection:
Encyclopedia of social welfare history in North America
Call Number: R 361.97 En19h and online
Encyclopedia of social work
: 2008 online
Poverty and homelessness
Call Number: R 362.50973 P869m
Health care politics, policy, and services: a social justice analysis
Leading health indicators for Healthy People 2020
The CQ Researcher Online contains original, comprehensive reporting and analysis on issues in the news. Controversial topics are addressed in a balanced, unbiased manner in the CQ tradition.
Credo Reference is a customizable ready-reference solution for learners and librarians. Its full-text, aggregated content covers every major subject from over 50 publishers of reference materials.
Issues and Controversies
Analyzes and explains controversial topics with balance and accuracy, probing hot public policy issues. Covers more than 70 controversial topics yearly; online access includes frequent updating, interviews with experts, statistical overviews of major issues, selected newspaper editorials, editorial cartoons, primary documents, a directory of contact organizations and curriculum/study aids.
Finding your Bill: details, supporters, & detractors
- Full-text state statutes and legislation on the Internet: “This page seeks to link to sites containing full-text state constitutions, statutes (called codes or compiled laws in some states), legislation (bills, amendments, etc.), session laws (bills that have become laws), and administrative rules. Updated 9/16/07.”
- State Statutes on the Internet: Page within the Legal Information Institute (LII), the research and electronic publishing activity of the Cornell Law School
Congressional Record: 1994-present
Thomas.gov: "THOMAS was launched in January of 1995, at the inception of the 104th Congress. The leadership of the 104th Congress directed the Library of Congress to make federal legislative information freely available to the public. Since that time THOMAS has expanded the scope of its offerings to include [these features and content]: Bills, Resolutions, Activity in Congress, Congressional Record, Schedules & Calendars, Committee Information, Presidential Nominations, Treaties."
- Housing policies
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Federal Government Agencies Directory : (Hierarchical and Alphabetical listings). Maintained by LSU Libraries.
- FedStats: The gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies
- Administration for Children and Families
- FedWorld: In 1992, FedWorld was established by The National Technical Information Service (NTIS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce, to serve as the online locator service for a comprehensive inventory of information disseminated by the Federal Government. This service assisted agencies and the public in electronically locating Federal Government information, both information housed within the NTIS repository and outside of NTIS.
- U.S. Census Bureau: "The Census Bureau serves as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy."
Law, Politics & Government
: Social Welfare & Social Work
Academic (Lexis-Nexis) provides full text and citation access to information in the reference, business, medical, and legal disciplines. Newspapers, magazines, wire services, federal and state court opinions, federal and state statutes, federal regulations, and SEC filings such as 10-K's and 10-Q's. News information is updated daily and wire services several times daily.
Cover-to-cover full text for 25 national & international newspapers, including The Christian Science Monitor, USA Today, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, The Times (London), and Toronto Star. Contains selected full text for more than 260 regional newspapers, including The Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Detroit Free Press, The Miami Herald, Daily News (New York), San Jose Mercury News, etc. In addition, full text television & radio news transcripts are provided from CBS News, CNN, CNN International, FOX News, and NPR.
Chicago Tribune (Historical)
The Chicago Tribune (1848-1988) offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. The collection includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue.
New York Times (Historical)
The New York Times (1851-2008) offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. The collection includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue. Coverage: Sept 18, 1851-Dec 31, 2003.
Full-text articles in general and specialized psychology. Includes all articles from the journal issues indexed, as well as errata and letters to the editor. Indexes selected U.S., Canadian and European psychology journals.
Psychology and related fields since 1806 including international material from periodicals written in 25+ languages. Includes current chapter and book coverage with worldwide English-language material published from 1987-present.
See other databases listed on Social Work Subject Guide
InterLibrary Loan (ILL)
If it's not there, try our print holdings
Still can't find it? Use ILL:
- Request it throughInterLibrary Loan
- Allow up to 2 weeks
- Send an email message from your Webmail account with complete citation information (and how you got the citation e.g. SocINDEX database).